Source: Nissan Image Library
Today we’re reporting on one of the most exciting additions to the 2014 Nissan model line-up. By the year’s end, dealerships across the nation will be able to offer car buyers the first-ever Nissan Pathfinder Hybrid!
This Pathfinder Hybrid offers drivers a variety of model configurations—14 to be exact—meant to help buyers build the optimal Pathfinder that suits their lifestyle needs. The 2014 Nissan Pathfinder Hybrid also offers the benefit of enhanced fuel economy (as Hybrids are meant to do!) and a reduction in output of CO2 emissions—sure to relieve our eco-conscious drivers.
The Pathfinder Hybrid is available in three trims—SV, SL, and Platinum, and is the only vehicle in its class to offer selectable 2WD, Auto, or 4WD Lock modes (incidentally, 4WD is excellent for inclement weather driving!). MSRP ranges from $35,110 – $44,350.
This is just a glimpse into the variety of options that are available with the Pathfinder Hybrid. To really understand what makes this new HEV (Hybrid Electric Vehicle, in layman’s terms) stand out, let’s look a little more closely at this new model.
So what exactly makes this new Pathfinder hybrid-capable? A glance into the engine of the Pathfinder Hybrid will reveal a combination of both a gasoline engine and an electric motor. Nissan explains,
“At the heart of the new 2014 Pathfinder Hybrid…is its supercharged 2.5-liter gasoline engine and an electric motor paired to a compact Lithium-ion (Li-ion) battery. The Li-ion battery fits under the 3rd row seat so there is no compromise of passenger seating capacity, 2nd or 3rd row legroom or cargo space.”
To keep your Hybrid humming, Nissan has employed the Nissan Intelligent Dual Clutch system that manages power from both the electric motor and the gas engine. And here’s something that’s cool—there’s also an advanced, next-generation Xtronic CVT that uses the driver’s braking to regenerate power to the battery! During braking, the battery automatically charges by converting the vehicles’ kinetic energy otherwise lost in braking.
As you can tell, there’s a lot of sophisticated technology at work to power your Hybrid. But hey, these are the models of the future, so why expect anything less?
Now that you understand a little bit more about the Hybrid technology, let’s look at some of the other admirable features of this all-new Pathfinder.
The Pathfinder Hybrid may be suitable for “rough and tumble” adventures, but its exterior is far from that. Graced with LED headlights, aerodynamic lines, and an available dual panorama moonroof and large windows which combined provide a relaxed openness, its look is sophisticated despite the Pathfinder’s “adventure-ready” reputation; a term Nissan likes to use to describe this Hybrid SUV. There’s also been a reduction in weight but no reduction in power. Nissan assures,
“Hybrid-equipped Pathfinders also retain the ability to tow boats, jet skis, trailers and a variety of other recreational gear with standard towing capacity of 3,500 pounds (when properly equipped).”
Additional exterior features are:
- Fresh interpretation of Nissan’s “power strut” grille design
- Chrome grille, front and rear door handles and front and rear fascia accents
- Body color bumpers and dual power remote-controlled outside mirrors (manual fold)
- Available heated outside mirrors and mirror reverse synch
- UV-reducing solar glass, rear privacy glass
- Standard auto on/off headlights with auto hazard system
- Available fog lights
- Available power liftgate with closure assist, liftgate position memory
- Available painted roof rails and cross bars
- Seven available exterior colors – Mocha Stone, Brilliant Silver, Dark Slate, Super Black, Cayenne Red, Moonlight White and Artic Blue Metallic
Not to be outdone by the vast features of the exterior, the Hybrid’s interior offers many options to create an ease and comfort while inside the vehicle. Three rows of seating provide capacity for up to 7 passengers. Smart Nissan technology such as the EZ Flex® Seating System and LATCH AND GLIDE™ features help create versatility in comfort, allowing passengers to fold down seats for ease of access within the vehicle, and adjust for preferred cargo capacity.
One item of note that is especially cool in the Hybrid is the reclining 3rd row—an option not offered with other SUVs in its class!
Here’s a glance at some of the many interior features of the Pathfinder Hybrid:
- 8-way power driver’s seat with manual lumbar support, available 4-way power front passenger seat, available 2-way power driver’s seat lumbar support
- Available Heated and Cooled front seats
- Standard 2nd row 60/40-split seat with manual slide/recline/fold flat
- Standard 3rd row 50/50-split seat with manual recline/flat fold
- Segment unique EZ Flex® Seating System with 3rd row access from 2nd row walk-in function and LATCH AND GLIDE™ child safety seat slide functionality (on passenger side seat)
- Advanced Drive-Assist™ Display with Hybrid power usage and charge regeneration information displays
- Two available interior colors – Almond and Charcoal
- Storage compartment under cargo floor, cargo area light
Technology is also an important factor for today’s modern drivers and we feel Nissan has continued to cater to those demands. For example, not only are there available features such as the Nissan Navigation System with NavTraffic and NavWeather for the traveling driver, but for those of you that love to be adventurous in your dining experiences, there’s even an available Zagat Survey® restaurant guide! And for the music lover who loves to rock out on the road, there’s an advanced Bose® Audio System with 13 speakers. SiriusXM Satellite Radio is standard (SiriusXM subscription required, sold separately). So there’s a little bit (well, actually a lot!) of something for everyone.
Additional available technology features include:
- Standard 7-inch color multi-information display with RearView Monitor
- Available 8-inch color monitor with VGA touch display
- Available heated steering wheel (standard on Platinum model)
- Available Nissan Navigation System with Voice Recognition, NavTraffic and NavWeather (SiriusXM subscription required, sold separately), Zagat Survey® Restaurant Guide, Bluetooth® Streaming Audio
- Nissan Intelligent Key® with Push Button Ignition
- Bluetooth® Hands-free Phone System
- Available 13-speaker Bose® audio system with Acoustic Waveguide Subwoofer
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio (SiriusXM subscription required, sold separately)
- Available leather-appointed 1st, 2nd and 3rd row and 1st row power memory seats
- Tri-Zone Automatic Climate Control, rear air conditioning
- Class-exclusive*** available Around View® Monitor
Last, but not least, let’s look at what drivers can expect when taking the Hybrid to the road.
The Pathfinder Hybrid is rated at 26 mpg combined, an increase of 24 percent over the standard Pathfinder (city 25 mpg, highway 28 mpg/27 mpg 4WD). We love to hear about increased fuel efficiency, don’t we?!
It’s estimated that the Hybrid driving range is around 546 miles. For anyone wondering, “Yeah, but how can you be sure?” After all, no one wants to be stuck without battery power and no gas station in sight. While you could use your Tischer Automotive app to help you find a nearby gas station, you don’t even have to do that. To help ease the concerns of the driver, special Hybrid system information screens have been added to the instrument panel’s Advanced Drive-Assist™ Display. This system will show Hybrid drivers the power output readings from the electric motor and the gas engine, along with how much power is being regenerated back to the battery. (Remember what we said earlier about the brake-recharging feature.) So there you go!
And of course, the all-new Pathfinder Hybrid wouldn’t be a true hybrid without the official stamp: the Nissan PUREDRIVE™ badge. If you aren’t familiar with the significance of this, the badge signifies Nissan’s commitment to achieve lower, eco-friendly levels of CO2 emissions.
As we stated before, we couldn’t be more thrilled about the rollout of the 2014 Nissan Pathfinder Hybrid. If you’re as excited about it as us, and you’d like a bit more information, feel free to check out extensive details and specs about this new model from the Nissan press release. The Pathfinder Hybrid will be a special-order model for our dealership. So please contact us if you are interested in a test drive by calling 301-498-3322 and ask for Lee Ray.
Don’t forget to use the comments area below to leave any questions you may have or for any further information you are seeking. If you prefer, you can also get in touch with us on Facebook or Twitter. Thanks for reading, and we look forward to seeing you at the dealership!