If you’re unfamiliar with the Acura line, then we should let you know it’s Honda’s luxury line. One look at the sleek, aerodynamic exterior lines and quality interior cabins of any Acura model, and you’ll understand why car buyers are willing to pay for these premium models.
However, the Acura ILX is a little bit different. It’s an entry-level luxury car, built on the same foundation focused on quality and equipped with the same features as other Acura models, but with a non-premium price tag. It’s a sophisticated, intelligent, compact sedan perfect for the driver who wants to make a statement with his/her car, but may not need the extra length and width as some other Acura models.
So whether you’re a young professional ready to take on the world, or someone who’s used to luxury vehicles but is ready to downsize after the kids have fled the nest, the 2014 Acura ILX just might be the perfect car for you. In fact, Acura has reported that the Acura ILX is the only luxury model on the top ten list of Generation Y car shoppers according to J.D. Power and Associates! So let’s take a closer look at this model so that you, the car buyer, can learn a little bit more about what the Acura ILX has to offer.
The Acura ILX was brand new for the 2013 model year and many of the standout features have carried over into the 2014 model year. However, there are some new features that are standard—hooray! Acura points out, “The 2014 Acura ILX offers increased value on a luxury scale with eight new standard features to enhance its curb appeal, interior comfort, and overall driving enjoyment.” Those features include upgraded 17-inch alloy wheels, new interior leather seating surfaces and leatherette door liners, an eight-way power driver’s seat, heated front seats, a Multi-Angle Rearview Camera, a new audio-system subwoofer and an Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) system.
Several different trims are available:
- 2014 ILX 5-Speed Automatic
- 2014 ILX 5-Speed Automatic w/ Premium Package
- 2014 ILX 5-Speed Automatic w/Technology Package
- 2014 ILX 6-Speed Manual with Premium Package
The available Premium Package includes a premium sound system with AM/FM tuner, in-dash CD player, Radio Data System (RDS), XM® Radio (subscription sold separately) with Note function music reminder, USB port and AUX jack connectivity, Bluetooth® Audio, Pandora® Internet radio interface, SMS text messaging feature, speed-sensitive volume control, 7 speakers with subwoofer and 360-watt amplifier. The Technology Package includes the same features, as well as Acura Navigation System with Voice Recognition™ and rearview camera, AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic™ with Traffic Rerouting™, AcuraLink Real-Time Weather™, and AcuraLink® Satellite Communication System with Automated Appointments.
Even with carrying over the same quality features and adding some new ones, base pricing was only increased slightly—a great deal for 2014 ILX buyer! (MSRP starts at $26,900 and varies depending on the trim and package.)
Now that we’ve teased you with some of the available features for this model, let’s take a closer look at the exterior and interior features of the 2014 Acura ILX.
The lines of the 2014 Acura ILX are smooth and well-tailored, creating a sleek sportiness. But slightly wide wheel overhangs give the stance of the ILX some oomph, so that the “sport” of the ILX is less jock, and more like a quiet, cool competitor.
Moving to the interior of the ILX, there is no skimping on cabin quality despite this model being part of the entry-level luxury car segment. Elegance combined with comfort abound. Given the price, there’s an amazing amount of technology available standard, too!
The ride is quiet, smooth, and the room in the rear seating area is ample for the dimension of the ILX. With decent truck space to start, the rear seats fold down to add more flexibility for any cargo you may have in tow.
We’ve already mentioned some of the new features of the 2014 Acura ILX that come standard, but those were just a teaser—there’s more to come!
Additional exterior features include:
- Projector beam headlights (Xenon High Intensity Discharge bulbs available, Auto on/off headlight feature and integrated Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
- Available front bumper-integrated halogen fog lights
- Folding side mirrors with heaters, integrated turn signal indicators, and driver-side rearview mirror with Reverse gear tilt down function
- Speed-sensing windshield wipers with mist feature
- Heat-rejecting window glass along with auto-timer defroster for rear glass
Additional interior features include:
- Leather-wrapped sport-style steering wheel
- Sport-style leather trimmed front seats with 8-way power adjustable driver seat and 2-way heated front seats (ILX base and Premium or Technology Package)
- Rear seat with center armrest, 60/40 split fold-down seatback, and trunk pass-through
- Stainless-steel pedal covers (ILX 2.4L)
- Dual-zone automatic climate control system with micron air-filtration
- Power-operated glass moonroof with tilt feature and sliding sunshade
- Auto-up/down driver and passenger power windows, power door mirrors and power door locks
- Remote activated, auto-open side windows and moonroof “quick vent” function
- Keyless Access System with pushbutton start
- Multi-Information Display (MID)
- Maintenance Minder™ system
- HomeLink® remote control system
Acura believes in “Safety Through Innovation.” Acura explains this motto as the foundation for its “commitment to leadership in safety, and accordingly the ILX has a wide range of standard active and passive safety features, including Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure.” Acura also points out the ILX “received a 2013 TOP SAFETY PICK rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), attaining a score of GOOD in all four Institute tests, including the rigorous roof-strength test.”
So not only is this luxury sedan a great buy for the money and chock-full of fabulous features, but you have the added reassurance of knowing it has received some of the highest safety accolades in the industry.
Additional safety features include:
- Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure
- Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®) with traction control
- Driver and front passenger dual-stage, multiple-threshold front air bags, and front side airbags with passenger side Occupant Position Detection System (OPDS)
- Adjustable-height front seat head restraints with active head restraint system
- Driver and front passenger seatbelts with automatic tensioning system and load-limiters
- 3-point seatbelts for all five seating positions
- Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren (LATCH) child seat mounting system for outboard rear seats
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) with individual location indicators
- Theft-deterrent system with electronic immobilizer
Reviews From The Industry
While we’re fans of the 2014 Acura ILX, it’s important to know that this model is getting “thumbs up” throughout the auto industry. Here are a few things industry professionals have to say about the new ILX:
“If you’re looking for a relatively affordable small sedan that’s good on gas and gives off a premium vibe, the 2014 Acura ILX is a good choice.” – Edmunds
“Impressive safety ratings and a solid set of features make the 2014 Acura ILX a secure pick.” – The Car Connection
“The 2014 ILX offers a sleek, upbeat look, snappy performance, crisp handling, a stylish interior and levels of technology, convenience and safety commensurate with buyers’ expectations.” – Kelley Blue Book
And one last little tidbit of good news about the 2014 Acura ILX, U.S. News & World Report rated it as one of the top ten of “Upscale Small Cars!”
We’d love to have you come to our dealership and check out the 2014 Acura ILX in our showroom and possibly even take a test drive! You can easily schedule your test drive in advance by clicking on the button below. Thanks for reading our overview of the 2014 Acura ILX. If you have any questions or comments about what you’ve read in this blog post, please feel free to let us know in the comments area below!